Monastery Zica

zica-icon.jpg The foundation of the Serbian King Stefan Nemanjic, the First-Crowned, monastery Zica has been built between 1208 and 1230. In 1219 Zica became the first seat of the Serbian Archbishopic.

The church, dedicated to the Ascension of Our Lord, displays the features of the Raska school. The ground plan is shaped as a spacious nave with a large apse at its eastern end. The central space is domed. The church was built of stone and brick. Architecturally, the Byzantine spirit prevails.

 

There are three layers of painting, each being a separate entity. The earliest frescoes were painted immediately after the first archbishop Sava's return from Nicaea (1219), but only in the choir portions of these have been preserved. Towards the end of 13th century Zica was burned and consequently deserted. Renovation was carried out during the time of Archbishops Jevstatije II (1292-1309), and Nikodim (1317-1337), when the refectory was adorned with frescoes, the church covered with a leaden roof, and a tower erected. The new frescoes were painted during the reign of King Milutin, but they have suffered serious damage, too. Fragments have survived on the east wall of the passage beneath the tower (composition of King Stefan and his son Radoslav), in the narthex, nave and side-chapels.

 

Donate

BLAGO Fund, Inc. is a US registered non-profit organization and all your donations are tax deductible.  Follow this link for further information on donating to BLAGO Fund.

Newsletter

Keep up on our always evolving content and collection volume. Subscribe to our newsletter mailing list.

Contact Us

Use the following form to contact BLAGO Fund.

 

Search